Hyphen among the results

Hello,
I created an explorer report with Page URL, next page URL as nested dimensions, and page view as a metric. Among the top results, only an hyphen is shown. I’ve sen “no data” before, but never a hyphen. See picture. Help is appreciated.

Hi @V_E,

The hyphen is the same as “no data” we just changed the naming.
For this specific report I suggest adding a filter “next page view URL is not [empty]”

This way you will remove last page views in session from the couting

Best,
Oliwer

Thanks for the explanation @Oliwer_Kaczmarek!
Do you know why the “no data” appears? It is a very large share of the results so its hard to ignore. We do have some outlinks on those pages, could that be a reason?

Yes, the reason for it appearing is the fact that if someone finished their session on URL: example.com then the table will look like this:

page URL     | Next page view URL | Page Views
example.com  |         -          |     1

So from one session where the visitor had this path: example.com > example.com/offer > example.com > example.com/contact
this would be the table:

page URL     | Next page view URL | Page Views
example.com        |example.com/contact |     1
example.com        |example.com/offer   |     1
example.com/offer  |example.com         |     1
example.com/contact|-                   |     1

In short, the reason why you see a lot of “no data” for next page view url is due to the fact that a lot of sessions finish on that url, if you think there might be something wrong with the traffic I would recommend looking into how many page views you see per session, and try to recreate standard user behavior on site and check in tracker debugger if there are any red flags (e.g. page views not being tracked or session being split)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.