Accessibility consent bar

1. Two things, wouldn’t it be nice have a category about Accessibility on this community?

2. And concerning this accessibility I found that the close button is not a button so it is not focusable. Is it possible to make this a button? Or is this a bug and should I post this somewhere else?

Hi Joost,
thank you for your comments. We will have a closer look at the accessibility of our product.
When it comes to the close button on the consent bar - let me speak with the respective team of developers to have a look.
Tymek

Having the button would be a great first step. I’ll try to create some code for it in the meantime to make the span work as a button but let me know if the button is implemented.

And let me know if you need help testing the banner and modal on accessibility issues. I would be glad to help.

All right, stay in touch @svds!

I’m not able to add js to fix this issue because there are to many options to work with. Any news on this? Shouldn’t be to much work to change a span in to a button. I really want to use Piwik but without this my accessible website is not accessible any more.

Hi there!
I am also struggling with several WCAG issues of the consent bar.

• The X for closing the bar or the popup should have an aria label “Close” for screen readers.
  • The X for closing does not get focus when tabbing by keyboard through the page
  • When navigating by keyboard through the page, the cookiebanner should get focus first, before all the links on the page.
    How can I solve these issues?
    Thanks in advance!

Hi Bernard,

First off all it’s to bad to hear these problems are still present. I’ve send an e-mail with all improvements to them about a year ago. @pp.support can you please fix these problems, this makes it easier and better for governments to use your tool.

I have a fully working and accessible version of the piwik consent message. I use custom html, js and css to manage this. And load the html part before all other content on the page to get it to be focussed first.

My code is not suitable for everybody so I made a none tested version to use: Transfer - Dropbox

Hi Joost,
thanks a lot! I am working on a Drupal site as well, what a coincidence…

Oops did I leave Drupal traces…:grin:.
Let me know if you need help with anything.

Hi Joost, hi Tymek,

so far I did not get the custom code running. And I am indeed disappointed that there are serious accessibility gaps in the standard consent bar, like the option to navigate by keyboard with the focus for the buttons, the aria labels and the use of headers where appropriate.
I think I will switch to Drupal’s cookies management instead, which is accessible by default.

Hi Bernard, Hi Joost,

I apologize for the lack of response. We have revisited this issue. I have shared the information (including that from last week) with the development team, and we are exploring the possibility of implementing improvements.

1 Like