Set up for a website with multiple language versions

Hi, hope you can clarify what would be the best way to create a piwikPro account structure for one domain that has multiple language versions? Each marketing team is working with their own language version, but they would also like to access the all website data (whole domain data) too.

1. Is there a possibility to filter the traffic for different views like in UA3? → Traffic from .com/se and .com/fr can be differentiated based on subdirectory for different “views”?

2. OR should I separate one domain’s different language versions with other configurations? Eg. Use a different piwikPro configuration code for every language version? Would there be then traffic referral issues, eg. will it track visitors from .com site as direct traffic in /fr language version?

Thank you!

Hi. My recommended solution is to go with separate websites for each language version. To see data for all of those in one place, you can set up a meta site (roll-up property).

Cross-domain traffic would be counted as referral, but that could be easily fixed with custom channel grouping or even exclude some referrers on the tracking code level.

Of course, the 1st scenario is also doable, but you would have to use advanced segmentation to achieve something similar to UA’s views.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Set up for a website with multiple language versions:

Thank you. Just to be clear, you would recommend setting different codes for different language versions and then creating a meta site (to include data from all language versions under one site)? If so, could you post a guide to cross-domain tracking with PiwikPro? (I’m using GTM and Piwik Pro Analytics template Tag for installation).

In a guide, “The visitor who moves from one site to another is counted separately for each website.” So if a visitor moves from the global site to the /fr site he would be counted as two different visitors? The number of users would then differentiate greatly from the UA users (one user → counted as two in PiwikPro)?

Also, do you have any guides for “excluding referrers on the tracking code” or “advanced segmentation”. Could you also post a link to those?

If you care about the exact number of unique users across all websites, I guess you would have to go with option nr 1, since cross domain tracking requires using the same container code for now. Here’s the guide. I’d love this feature to work also when different properties are in use.

As for segmentation, I’d create segments that are based page_url dimension. Most of events have this dimension set.

Regarding excluding referrers, there’s a trigger that reads it from the http header and this method could be used to reset the referrer for certain page URLs. But, as far as I remember, if you’re using the same container code and all URLs are filled in in website settings, those referrers should be excluded by default.

1 Like

Hi! Could you provide me a checklist for finding a bug in my cross-domain tracking set up? This may be related to consent.

The tracking just stopped working. Suddenly the Piwik pageviews or events do not fire in the second domain. In Google Tag Manager Debug mode it shows like the Piwik pageview tag fires in the second domain after I adjusted the Piwik tags not to require consent. However, in dev tools I don’t get the “ppms” hits, the Piwik Debug extensions* gives an error message, and yes, I don’t get pageview hits to Piwik.

Message in piwik debug: "Sorry, this site or app can’t use this extension yet. Possible reasons:

You’ve declined or ignored an analytics consent on this site or app. Change your consent decision and re-open the extension. Read more

• You haven’t installed our container (with a tracking code) yet. Read more.

• You’re using Piwik PRO version below 16.0.0. Contact us at support@piwik.pro, and we’ll set up this extension for you manually."

Hi. Is it still the same topic or totally different issue?

Can you point me to the website where it’s configured? I’d start with a check if the code is indeed added via GTM.

Hello together,

having a quite similar problem like described here. But one thing is special in our setup. Due to website specific setup/configuration reasons (we have very many (thousands) subdomains where I cannot mention each single URLs in the website settings input field. Thus I need to leave this configuration empty.

My assumption is this results in many referrals from domain and subdomains between each other (as people often change between the different subdomains; and sometimes in between the session duration of 30mins expires).

Thus now, I would like to understand how can I suppress this “own domain/subdomain” referral information from within Piwik: Is it possible to configure in Piwik Analytics or Piwik Analytics i.e. like “Leave external referrer empty if external referrer contains <mywebsite.com>” (like mentioned here) ?

Another solution could be to use wildcards like *.mywebsite.com within the URL input field in website settings. In my tests some weeks ago this was not possible / was not recognized as wished. And now as we are live I cannot re-check if this now possible. Thus, if not yet possible, could you please take this wildcard/all subdomains feature on the features wishlist?

Thank you for your feedback & kind regards
Thomas