Data mismatch in PiwikPRO and Google Data Studio

Hi,

I use Google Data Studio (GDS) to process some data gathered by PiwikPRO, most values are transferred accurately, but some have a considerable mismatch:

As seen from the screenshots, the number of new visitors for the same period is 2,681 while in GDS I get only 2 visitors.

Session time and Time on Page also differ significantly for the same period of time.

Do you have any idea on what can be the cause of these mismatches? And how can it be fixed?

Thanks!

Hello @Alex,

I just checked and unfortunately I cannot reproduce your issue - the numbers seem to match what I see in my Piwik PRO account. I used the same conditions and the same date ranges across both products.

Piwik PRO:

Google Data Studio:

Did you change the control scope for the date range for any of your charts?
Here’s what I mean: Date range control - Looker Studio Help

Another important thing to consider - did you build the charts the same way as you would build a widget in Piwik PRO dashboards? For the chart showing “returning visitors”, did you set it up by using the metric “Visitors” and making a scorecard filter like on the screenshots below?

Hi, @Piotrek,

the scorecard filter you proposed solved the problem, thanks a lot! Any ideas how to fix “session time” and “time on page” mismatch?

Regards,
Alex

Hi @Alex,

Is my guess correct that you are comparing stats for a particular location? In the screenshot from Piwik PRO Analytics, I see the following text: “Country › Subdivision › City”, which suggests that you are looking at the Locations report.

If that’s the case, it’s important to make sure that you filter the data the same way in Google Data Studio. By default, Data Studio would return the average session time for all visitors without taking locations into account. If you add locations to the mix (like in Analytics reports), the data may be calculated differently (to split between cities and also to see results where location couldn’t be attributed).

In general, it can be pretty hard to compare a scorecard chart in GDS to a full report where the query for the data is more complex. A useful tip might be checking if the data is accurate by comparing it to a widget in Piwik PRO dashboards.

Let me know if this is a good explanation.

Hi @Piotrek,

it’s not about the locations, the values differ regardless of geography

Hi @Piotrek

It is the same in my report. I do not even try to calculate the average session time in a table. The value itself is wrong. When i try to use the metric “session time” it somehow shows a huge number. So therefore i considered its the aggregated session time. There is no metric which is called “average session time”. I decided to calculate it by myself: “session time/sessions”. But the average is not the same as in Piwik Analytics.

Regards,
Markus

Hello @Markus_Reiter @Alex,

We are currently working on an update for our Google Data Studio connector where we will address your issues. I’ll update this thread once we have more information.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Sum of new and returning visitors doesn’t match total in data studio integration

Hi @Piotrek , has this problem been fixed?

Not yet, we had to push back an update that fixes this. Right now we are targeting next month. Once it’s ready, average session time will be available as an additional metric in your data source.

Hello,

We have released a new version of the Data Studio (Looker Studio) connector which introduces multiple metrics based on averages, including Average session time and Average time on page.

You can find the link to the latest version in our Help Center article here: Looker Studio (Google Data Studio) integration | Piwik PRO help center