Feature Request: Display Cookie List via HTML snippet

Hi there,

I just stumbled across a cool feature from Onetrust cookie consent management which makes their customers’ life a lot easier. It would be great if you could consider offering such feature as well.

As you probably know, a GDPR requirement is to show the used cookies on a given website to the user. Onetrust has the option to do this automatically (which can be a pretty painful process when being done manually) which is extremely helpful in terms of maintenance since the cookie information on this webpage is always up-to-date.

If you take a look at this webpage, you will find text and table showing all used cookies: https://store.pwc.it/en/footer/cookie
The entire content is being rendered automatically by using a simple HTML tag:

<!-- OneTrust Cookies List start -->
<div id="ot-sdk-cookie-policy"></div>
<!-- OneTrust Cookies List end -->

It would be super cool if Piwik would offer this too in one of the next releases.

Let me know if you have questions!

Best regards
Julian

3 Likes

Cookiebot has a similar feature.

However, I would much rather see the ability for Piwik Pro to integrate and use other consent management platforms. For example by listening to dataLayer pushes…

Hi @Julian, thank you for bringing this up! Piwik PRO Consent Manager is executing a different approach than what we call “cookie managers”. We don’t control the cookies, but rather we control execution of the tags, that are placing those cookies. You may say we control that on a higher level.

Of course we know it is important to be able to get that information for presenting on the website, so we provide additional mechanism, that can perform automatic audit of your website cookies and provide you with a report, you can use it here:

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Brian_Clifton - great that you mention this. We already provide tags for integrating OneTrust to our Enterprise plan customers - and it works exactly as you described. Since OneTrust is posting its info as dataLayer events, it is easy to integrate those with Piwik PRO.

@Michael Agreed - what cookies are set is not really the point of privacy laws. It is what data is sent that counts, whether such hits use cookies or not is irrelevant. That said, cookie declaration tables are a requirement of GDPR.

For transparency, I am the founder of verified-data.com. It scans website pages/network requests for pixel and cookie auditing.

1 Like

FYI, Cookiebot is very similar to OneTrust is approach so maybe worth while investigating if they can produce a Piwik tag template. Currently you can use a custom HTML script.

I think Piwik just need some documentation here and in the help areas about this. I found nothing on the topic other than this thread…

2 Likes

@Brian_Clifton thanks for the feedback, this is indeed something useful and we’ll pass this on our product teams to look into it!

Thanks @Michael. My idea stems from (what @Brian_Clifton already replied) the legal requirement by GDPR to display the cookies that are being used. And since “you” are dropping them on our site, “you” know best which cookies are being used - therefor providing a comprehensive overview would be a handy feature for all those admins required to list the cookies on their sites :slight_smile:

We are currently facing these type of issues. DPO is asking us to scan on a regualr basis cookie on dozen of sites, so an automatic scanner (not manual) that could populate a table embeddable in a cookie policy page could be very useful.

1 Like

Hi @Andrea_Colajacomo - thanks for sharing with us your use case. I’m adding this as a feature request to our backlog.
However, other tools like cookiebot won’t work for you? or is it better to have everything in one place?

Hi @Pawel, just jumping in on this discussion if you don’t mind… :wink:

We’re using Cookiebot at the moment and one of the reasons to do so is the cookie list functionality. So to answer your question to @Andrea_Colajacomo: yes, I would prefer to have everything in one place.

2 Likes

I totally agree with @michiel

Hi again @michiel :wave: Well, then it is another feature request :+1:
@Andrea_Colajacomo Thanks for confirmation!

I’ve just tried the cookie scanner and it only seems to pick up cookies that are dropped prior to consent, not the full list that might be available once consent is provided. This limits its usefulness in providing a report that can be displayed in a cookie policy or privacy policy. I’m using CookiePro to manage consent at the moment, so this may not be an issue if the Piwik Pro Tag Manager and Consent Manager is already in place.

I’d also be really keen to see a dynamic report/page embed for the privacy policy which shows the cookies on the site that would be made available with consent. Definitely a huge positive to being able to manage everything in a single platform.

Same here! Would be a very usefull functionality.

I’m struggling with CookiePro and PiwikPro Core consent integration. @DavidLTS could you tell how you executed the consent between these? I would be internally happy.

Hi @Pawel ,
Just checking in on this feature request to see where it is in the pipeline?
We’re currently implementing Piwik Pro and want to use your consent manager but are considering having to stick with OneTrust for the reasons mentioned above.

It would be really handy if you could output a list of cookies that are tracked as we need this for compliance purposes.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile: