Help with consent manager with GTM

We’ve had tracking set up in Piwiks tag manager, where we also used Piwik’s consent manager. Now we have decided to move everything to Google Tag Manager instead, but we want to keep using Piwik’s consent manager.

We are currently setting up Piwik’s consent manager to work with Google Tag Manager. We have followed the steps of this article Consent Manager integration with Google Tag Manager | Piwik PRO help center, and the different consent states work for all tags except for the Piwik Pro tag.

If we turn off the Piwik Pro tag in Piwik’s tag manager, the consent management in GTM stops working.

Also, we can’t make Piwik Pro work in a way where it is respecting consent. Right now it fires also without consent.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve these two issues?

Hi @Cecilia,

Welcome to our community!

Piwik PRO tag should be fired regardless of consent as the data it tracks is consent dependand (e.g. based on a consent this tag will change lifespan (or remove) Piwik PRO cookies). So you need it to fire regardless of consent.
If you want to stop gathering particular type of data that is not complient with your specific regulations please let me know so we can figure out the best way to handle this specific usecase. But tag itself should be fired regardless of consent and I personally recommend leaving it active in Piwik PRO tag manager and not trying to put it in GTM.

Best,
Oliwer

Hi Oliwer,

Thank you very much for your reply!

We are based in Denmark, so we have to follow GDPR in the strictest understanding. I’ve included a screenshot of cookies that are being set, even when I reject all cookies. How can I prevent these from being set, when a user rejects cookies?

Kind regards, Cecilia

Hi @Cecilia,

You can turn off those cookies for non-consenting visitors in:
Administration > Sites & apps > Privacy > Ask visitors for consent > View > Collect anonymous data from non-consenting visitors > Use visitor cookies

Best,
Oliwer

Hi Oliwer,

Thank you very much!

Kindly, Cecilia