Piwik Consent Report

Hi,

We have just moved all our tracking from Piwik Tag Manager to Google Tag Manager, but we still wish to keep using Piwik Consent Manager.
Before the move, we were tracking 100% of users, and not we have set it up to respect users’ choice of consent.

I just have a few questions.

1. In the Consent Report in Piwik Analytics (where we previously could see how users interacted with the cookie banner), we can now only see the users who gave consent. In other consent tools (like Cookiebot fx) you can see data on the % of users who accepted or declined.
    Should I be able to see this in this report as well, indicating that there is something wrong with our setup?

2. Is there anything to be aware of to make the integration with GTM more smooth? I am not sure that it is working like it should.

3. Is there a way to force users to make a choice, and remove the ability to close the consent window without accepting or declining?

Very grateful for any help!

Kindly, Cecilia

Hi,

1. Unfortunately there is no such metric that would calculate that by default. That is why, you could add it by creating your calculated metric which would entail a formula for a percentage of visitors who accepted or declined the consent. Here is an article on how to create calculated metrics: Create your own calculated metrics | Piwik PRO help center

2. Can you provide more details about this one? What is exactly wrong with the Piwik PRO through GTM setup?
    Here are some things that you could do:
    Check if your tracking container is properly injected into the site’s source code. Also, here are two handy guides which describe the process of adding a Piwik PRO container onto the site:
    Google Tag Manager: install a container (with a tracking code) | Piwik PRO help center
    Google Tag Manager: install a tracking code on its own | Piwik PRO help center
    Please make sure you followed all the steps provided in the articles.

3. Unfortunately, there is no default option that would force the visitor to make a choice. The only solution for this would be to enable “Use custom consent form” option and use JS methods to change its behavior.
    All the important details about custom form can be found under this link:
    Custom consent form | Piwik PRO help center

Hi Asinior,

And thank you so much for your reply.

1. I’m not sure I explained this very good. I have attached a screenshot of the Consent Report in Piwik. We moved all the tracking from Piwik Tag Manager to GTM on Nov 23. At the same time, we set all the tracking to respect consent from all users.

My question now is - should we, in this report, still be able to see all users, including the ones who did not agree to cookies? Or do you need to say yes to cookies in order for the Consent Report to collect data?

1. It’s not the set up as such that I am concerned about, its the use of Piwiks consent manager together with Google Tag Manager. Piwiks consent manager doesnt work the same way as other consent management tools that I am used to (like fx cookiebot or cookieinformation).
    Should it be easy to use Google Tag Manager and Piwiks consent manager in a set up where respecting users choice of cookies is very important?

2. Thanks. I think I will ask a developer for help with this one :slight_smile:

Thank you again for helping!

Kindly, Cecilia

1. Data for consent form is being collected as soon as the consent pops up on site and visitors who saw the consent banner as soon as they accessed your site fall immediately into the “Consent form impressions” category. Then the data after they make or do not make their decision is broken down into other categories. In your case the majority of your visitors did not make any decision at all, which made them fall into the “No decisions” category. Some of them (5) did not accept the consent form settings and some of them gave you the full consent (7).

2. You could try to adjust the behavior of the Piwik PRO consent manager by using Piwik PRO consent manager API methods in your GTM. You could apply these methods to your GTM setup and catch different decisions which the visitor makes regarding the consent setting on your site. Then based on the values parsed by the methods, you can measure what consent was given by the visitor or fire GTM tags based on the visitor’s decision. This is rather a custom solution and will require some efforts from your developer’s site.

Here are the methods that I mentioned that could be useful here: JavaScript API — Piwik PRO Analytics Suite 18.9 documentation

Hi Asinior,

1. Yes, I understand that part. My question is regarding what is happening after Nov 23, when we moved the setup to GTM instead. After this date, the data coming in to this report only shows the people who consented to being tracked (in the red square in the screenshot).
    My question is whether this indicated that there is something wrong with the setup or not?

In other consent management tools, you can often see statistics on how users interacted with the consent banner, regardless if they accept being tracked or not. But you an only see this data in the cookie manager, not in you analytics tool.

But in Piwik, the analytics part and the consent manager are integrated, which could explain why we can only see the users who consented in this report.

Can you explain how this report works? Should I be able to see all users here, also the ones who said no to cookies (and therefore are not being tracked in this new setup)?

1. Thanks, I will look into this.

Sorry for the misunderstanding from my side, it seems that there is indeed something wrong with your GTM - Piwik PRO implementation as requests are only sent to your instance as soon as the visitor accepts the consent and the tracking/container does not work in any other instance, i.e. visitor rejects the decision or visitor does not give any decision. Please verify the setup in GTM and also what triggers the tag which injects Piwik PRO container onto your site.

What else could be done here is to manipulate the behavior of the consent with the API methods that I sent you in the previous message. You could create tags that are triggered when user clicks on an element with an id of" ppms_cm_reject-all", when visitor does not consent, and “ppms_cm_close_popup_id”, when the visitor does not make any decision. You could create custom code tags which map a decision whenever the visitor clicks on one of these elements.

But we WANT to only track users who gave consent. That is not something that is wrong with the tracking. The setup is supposed to only track users who give consent.

So for Piwik Analytics, we want to only track users who consent to being tracked, but still see all data from interactions with the consent banner. Is that possible?

Is it possible to separate the Piwik consent data, from the Piwik Analytics data?

Can we track ONLY the users who give consent in the Analytics part of Piwik, but still see full data in the Consent part of the Piwik reporting?

if we had been talking about GA4 and another consent management tool like fx Cookiebot, we would be able to set the tracking up in GTM, and see only visitors who consent to tracking in GA4, but still see a percentage in Cookiebots own admin panel, which shows statistics over the amount of users who accepted vs declined.

Well, AFAIK this cannot be divided in such a way as when we do not track any Analytics data, then we would not be able to track any Consent data as well because consent form impressions are regarded as custom events and therefore without the custom event data being collected, we would not be able to measure the number of visitors which viewed the consent form on your site. This makes what you would like to achieve here to be a little problematic from the technical standpoint.

What you could always try doing is to disable all the Piwik PRO functionalities, so that the JSTC gets added onto the site, but there is no cookie being created, no page views generated, and no scroll depth being tracked, but this is as far as it gets.

Ok, I think this was part of what I needed to understand. That this is considered custom events (like it also would be in other analytics tools).

Thank you so much for your help in making me understand the tracking of these events, I really appreciate your time. I will reach out again if I have any further questions on the same topic.