Installation attribution on Flutter (Android/iOS)

Hi,
I’d like to know where new mobile app users are coming from (ie. which campaign link they’ve cliked to install the app). In order to do that, there needs to be a way to redirect the user from the campaign link to either of the app stores (if the app is not installed) or start the app (if it’s installed). When the app is finally active, the referrer URL (the campaign link) needs to be passed to the app, too.

How to do this with PIWIK?

Here’s a detailed description of what’s needed from a another company in the analytics space: What is mobile attribution? A beginner’s guide | Adjust

Thanks!

Hi there!

If the link that user goes through opens the app then you can track it with trackCampaign method. The campaign information will be sent to the server together with the next analytics event. Here’s the documentation where you can find more details about this method: Piwik PRO SDK for Flutter — Piwik PRO Analytics Suite 18.0 documentation :smile:

Thanks for the answer!

That solves the problem of tracking user’s origin once the app is started.
Is there something from Piwik PRO that would handle the redirection as well (ie. the part between clicking the campaign link on a website/social media and installation/opening the app)?

Something like this: Create Quick Links
Branch.io is overdoing it in my opinion (and hurting user’s privacy). A simpler solution with redirects to app stores and passing referral URL to the app would suffice, imho.

It would be awesome to be able to use Piwik PRO for everything instead of relying on other parties for smart redirection :wink:

Unfortunately, we don’t have this functionality. What you can do is to implement deep linking in a way that lets you recognize where the user came from. Those deep links are always sent to an application and you can send them over to Piwik PRO using the method I mentioned earlier.

Got it, thanks.

Would you consider such a redirection as a feature request?
In general, it seems to me that Piwik PRO is somewhat lacking when it comes to supporting mobile clients (installation tracking, attribution, etc.) Are there any plans to expand in this direction? I’m sure it would make your offering more compelling for mobile devs out there.

Sure, I’ll pass your feedback to our team :slight_smile:

We actually have a way of tracking installations, here’s the documentation for that: Piwik PRO SDK for Flutter — Piwik PRO Analytics Suite 18.0 documentation.

There are definetely plans to expand and grow the capabilities of our SDK. We will gladly learn about any features that are missing and are handy to mobile devs, so feel free to let us know if you have any more feedback in the future :smiling_face: