Understanding second session URL

Hi,

When checking the next page of a session entry URL by using the default pages report, I have noticed two things in the second session url (when clicking on a specific link, drill down table):

1. No data as first second session URL: this seems to correspond to the bounce rate. Is that correct?
  2. Exact same page as the session entry URL: does some activity (for instance declining or accepting cookies) reloads the page so Piwik Pro counts this as a continuation of a session?

I am trying to understand the flows and to see which pages are viewed most after a session entry but some anomalities make it hard to interpret it correctly.

Many thanks for your insights!

Hi @JeromeBertrem,

The second session URL is basically the second page visited in a session.

Since you see No data as the Session second URL it may indicate that there was a bounce or the user didn’t go to a different page. (for example some long article pages)
When it comes to the exact same page in the session second URL as the session entry URL it can occur when the user reloads the page and the second pageview sent has the same url.

Have a great day! :slight_smile:

Hi @kamilb ,

Thank you for the reply.

My first question is indeed answered with its link to the bounce rate.

My second question is partialy answered. I didn’t want to enclose concrete figures in ordered to respect the compagny’s privacy. However the next page with the same URL as the session entry URL, is in most cases ranked in the top 3 of next pages. So it is odd that visitors refresh the page more often than clicking on other links on the page.

In the end these anomalies make it hard to interpret where user go to next after starting a session.

If you have more ideas on how to accurately gather suchs insights in another way, feel free to share! :slight_smile:

Hi @JeromeBertrem,

Did you try setting up a User Flow report? - Set up a user flow report | Piwik PRO help center

It might be useful in your analysis.

Have a great day! :slight_smile:

Hey @kamilb ,

I indeed used a User Flow report as a starting point. I will give it a new look to see if there is something more to learn with different settings selected.

Have a fine day!