Adjusting the Bounce Rate

Hey there!

What are the Options to adjust the Bounce Rate in Piwik Pro?
I know you can do this with a tag, but are there other options?

Thanks in advance
Lasse

What are you trying to achieve Lasse?

The idea behind adjusting the bounce rate is that if someone comes to a page through a search result, and finds all the information they need on that page, and then leaves. This should not count as a bounce.I want to adjust this so that after a certain amount of time a user spends on the page, it is no longer counted as a bounce, even if they leave the page.

So, you could detect the referrer and based on that trigger additional page view, goal conversion or ecommerce conversion. I’d suggest using goals to keep the data clean. Triggering those additional events would result in a non-bounce session.

1 Like

I agree with @kuba – using a goal conversion seems to be the most clean option.

This conversation triggered me…
@kuba is there a list which events / action / … are considered as non-interaction events (Google Analytics terminology)? Because this is not clear from the user interface and I’m a bit surprised that events are apparently counted as non-interaction.

This article should help: What is bounce rate? | Piwik PRO help center

Well it didn’t :wink:
At least not completely.

When a visitor performs a custom event like downloads a file, types a query in a search, or signs up for a newsletter on the entry page, the bounce will be counted.

For what I understand from this, is that Events are not influencing bounces. So all custom events are considered as non-interaction.
But types a query in a search is quite confusing? On most sites a search query trigger a new page view. So it’s not a bounce anymore.
But that’s a detail.

May I suggest you to clarify the difference between interaction and non-interaction events in the Tag Manager? Because Events are considered as non-interaction, while goals are counted as an interaction. And they are next to each other in the Tag Manager. So without reading the manual, you don’t know the difference.
In Google Tag Manager for example, this is clearly indicated on each tag that collects data in GA:

Note: When a visitor performs a custom event like downloads a file, types a query in a search, or signs up for a newsletter on the entry page, the bounce will be counted.

There’s a mistake. Sign up for a newsletter is a goal conversion so it’s not a bounce. We’ll fix it.

In case of Piwik PRO, internal site search is a separate event type from page view so it won’t trigger non-bounce.

Long story short, additional page view, goal conversion or ecommerce conversion marks visit as non-bounce. We don’t operate on the “non-interaction” terminology.

1 Like