Google-Certified CMP

Hi,

Google Adsense will soon require publishers to use a Google-certified Consent Management Platform.

I have sites, where I wanted to use Piwik Pro. In cases where a site also shows ads from Adsense, it might end up with a double GDRP pop-up.

Will Piwik Pro try to get certified with Google? - Or is there any other tip for this?

Greetings

Hi,
The way I would see it handled on your site is to check what dataLayer objects are sent when you accept the Google consent banner and based on that apply to your Custom code in Piwik PRO Tag Manager settings that would catch these events and apply a corresponding decision of the visitor to the Piwik PRO environment. Here are the methods that could be used to help you translate these dataLayer objects into the appropriate consent decisions in Piwik PRO: JavaScript API — Piwik PRO Analytics Suite 18.4 documentation

This can only be handled when you have a Custom consent option enabled in your Administration settings.

Here is a general guide on how to integrate 3rd party consent tools in Piwik PRO: How can I integrate a third-party cookie consent tool with Piwik PRO? | Piwik PRO help center

1 Like

Thank you for answering.

I’m not sure I understand what you suggest.
It looks like a visitor will need to confirm two different forms on the page with this.

Google will enforce its own consent popup if I don’t use a Google-certified CMP one already.
It is not possible to add more to the Google consent pop-up.

It is bad for usability with two pop-ups, so the best solutions are a Google-certified CMP on the site - or a solution where Adsense can be set within the Piwik consent form. Not sure if that is possible and agreeable to Google.

Thanks.

Maybe I did not make myself clear on that. What this setup assumes is that there will be just one consent physically present on site, in this case from Google. The setup allows you to map the consent settings from the Google CMP, should there be appropriate dataLayer objects present after a user consented, and apply these consent decision settings (such as Analytics, Remarketing and so on) to Piwik PRO.

So, if you want to have just Google CMP available on your site, then this would be a good way of proceeding here.

Thank you,

So, you are saying it is possible to edit the Google consent form to include more than just consent for Adsense?

I will have to look into this then.

Thanks a lot!

Actually, what I am saying is that you could use this integration to have just one consent form available on site so that it does not influence the page’s layout and map the consent decision settings (Analytics, Remarketing and so on) from your Google CMP and apply them to your Piwik PRO environment should there be appropriate information that it could be used in the dataLayer structure. I know how to integrate the Piwik PRO consent form with 3rd party consent tools, but I am not sure what it looks like on Google’s end and if you could include more than just consent for AdSense or not.

From Piwik PRO’s end, this setup that you described may require some customization on your end and the articles above will help you with dealing with all the issues that may stem from the Piwik PRO tool itself.