How to work with HTML5 Videos

Hello everyone,
I have implemented HTML5 video tracking using this guide => HTML5 video tracking tag | Piwik PRO help center. However, it seems that it is not working. I have tried using the debug mode and publishing everything. The video on the page is a simple video tag with a source (similar to this example: HTML Video). Is there a specific markup or data attributes that need to be used? I have also attempted to track a specific class name, but with no success.

Hi @simom!

Could you send me the URL address of your website and a screenshot of how your video tracking tag is set up? It can be either here or in a private message.

Hi Anthony,
thanks for the reply, I’ve followed exactly this guide => HTML5 video tracking tag | Piwik PRO help center tracking all the page views and then I’ve added a new trigger on a specific class name

What I’ve noticed is that on debug mode using chrome (with no extensions active, incognito mode and consent accepted) I’ve always this DNT on the event, I’ve tried on Safari and everything is working properly
Screenshot 2023-10-30 alle 12.33.00
The url is https://docs.advancedcolumns.com/ is a 11ty site with barba.js, but I don’t know if this is relevant.
Best,
Simone

and then I’ve added a new trigger on a specific class name

The page view trigger should be enough as the video is detected automatically.

What I’ve noticed is that on debug mode using chrome (with no extensions active, incognito mode and consent accepted) I’ve always this DNT on the event, I’ve tried on Safari and everything is working properly

I’m not a Google Chrome user but it could be that the incognito mode has the Do Not Track mode enabled by default. You can probably switch this off somewere in the Chrome settings or you can disable Respect opt-out and DNT in the tag (wouldn’t recommend it tho).

I have checked your instance and it seems that you are already collecting some video analytics data :slight_smile: (Analytics > Reports > Video analytics).

Hi Anthony,
Yes, it’s working now. However, because I switched to Safari to trigger the events, I also tested it on Chrome in regular mode, but I got the same result. I’m not sure why. I’ve also added the click event on the video to make sure it’s being tracked, but it’s probably not necessary for the progress event.

@simom this is probably the setting you are looking for:

You are right! Thank you for your help!