More options for creating goals from events

Hey,

I’ll just be sharing my observations about Piwik while I’m getting started with it. I don’t expect this to be done at all, but take it as qualitative feedback of areas that I think could be improved. Great product by the way.

On to the point then. Creating goals from events at the moment is a hassle for more complex websites. This has been brought up before (but not in the feature request area, so I’ll bump it here).

The issue is that you cannot create a goal from multiple conditions in events. There are workarounds to this through GTM/MTM but this isn’t a great solution in our case because it moves a lot of mutable business logic into a tag manager that we used to be able to solve easily with GA. We haven’t decided on a workaround yet, but it’ll either be not using segmented goals and doing analysis on events. Or some ugly regex hacking with one of the event labels.

To give some context. Our client has ~20 locations and hundreds of services. When someone orders something on the website we send an event which could resemble this:

• Category: Booking_confirmed
  • Action: Location
  • Label: Service

We have other non-conversion events that could use Location and Service as the action/label. For instance, “select_service”. It would be useful to be able to select “Event category = Booking” and Service =“service_x”. We don’t want to create goals out of every single permutation here - but some are important enough business priorities to warrant their own goal.

The workaround suggested is to create a goal manually and add it to GTM. That is possible, but it’s a pain if we want to track 15-20-30 specific goals compared to GA where you could create goals based on multiple conditions out of the box.

I believe this is something that will surprise people moving from GA to Piwik - especially your larger clients with more complex segmentation needs.

4 Likes

I’ll bump this thread again because I feel like this is such a quality of life improvement. You should be able to create a goal based on multiple conditions.

Just to state it, my workaround for my previous client was creating a single “Custom goal” and then adding three custom dimensions to that. Then creating reports which segmented the goals based on the custom dimensions.

The latest example is a generic thank you page, where I wish to segment based on the previous page path to figure out which form they came from. When using GA I could just create these goals directly in the UI using the “Page path” + “previous page path” dimension. In Piwik I need to create this in GTM - which is doable, but less practical.

When I recommend Piwik to people this one of the things I explicitly warn about, because I know there’s a large chance people will encounter this.

I switched from GA to Piwik Pro and I just discovered that I can’t create a goal using multiple conditions. This was sooo easy and practical in GA. It looks so basic as a feature for a user. Can’t believe it is not doable in Piwik. I’m actually stuck. I don’t know how I can track all my goals. Using events will be way more complicated and in somes cases not doable.

Piwik team, can we have some news on this? Is it on the roadmap ? Any ETA you can give?

User with similar issue here without the technical knowledge to implement it. GTM/MTM isn’t a great workaround for all users.

Bumping this again. Was just working with a client who set up a goal using the event name parameter. Half a year later a new event was created with the same event name and suddenly this goal was triggering off of actions in another funnel.

This seems like a reasonably minor implementation with large QoL implications. If onboarding of users to your platform is a priority I’d seriously consider throwing an engineer at it.