New YoutTube video tracking and HTML5 video tracking

I have added new version of YouTube video tracking (16.5.0 and above), and it seems like its downgrade of lower version approach.

Am I understanding this correctly, that the new way of video tracking is missing some important data, like:

• Video_id e.g The video ID in YouTube, for example OZJOIwm4y1c .
  • Total_length Video length in seconds, counted from the beginning.

The old version had it all (How can I collect data about YouTube videos on my site? (custom code) | Piwik PRO help center)

Is there a way of getting this data in YouTube video tracking Tag? (not counting manually implementing extraction scripts and putting them into custom dimension every time).

If there is no way to do that, can you explain why in new approach, mentioned data was removed?

Also, there might be a bug while rewinding video using video tracking Tag:

1. For 100 seconds video length. Tag is configured to report progress every 20% (20, 40, 60, 80, 100)
  2. User rewinds almost to the end (about 81-82 seconds in).
  3. PiwikPro is sending event “Progress - 20%” with value 82 (seconds) which looks weird on reports
  4. video ends and PiwikPro sends “Watched”, no other “Progress” events in between

Is this a bug? or maybe its intended and I dont understand it?
I think, It would be better if it was 80% progress event in this case, not 20% event.
Anyway without information about video length, I cant easily know what has happened there, because there are no rewind actions reported.

Still looking for answers to this subject.
Perhaps Post should be more feature request (and maybe a bug - 2nd part), but I dont really know for now.
@kuba any chance replying to this?

Hi, sorry for the late reply.

Am I understanding this correctly, that the new way of video tracking is missing some important data, like:

• Video_id e.g The video ID in YouTube, for example OZJOIwm4y1c .
  • Total_length Video length in seconds, counted from the beginning.

Yes, you are right. This data is unfortunately not available. By simplifying the implementation of the new solution, we have stopped collecting this data. I have added FR to our backlog to restore this possibility.

Also, there might be a bug while rewinding video using video tracking Tag:

1. For 100 seconds video length. Tag is configured to report progress every 20% (20, 40, 60, 80, 100)
  2. User rewinds almost to the end (about 81-82 seconds in).
  3. PiwikPro is sending event “Progress - 20%” with value 82 (seconds) which looks weird on reports
  4. video ends and PiwikPro sends “Watched”, no other “Progress” events in between

This is a bug. I have added a ticket to the backlog.

1 Like