Segments with "Sessions in which Page X was viewed" do not seem to be possible?

No, Piwik does not support creating behaviour based segments e.g. sessions where user visited page X or triggered event Y.

The workarounds I’ve found are:

1. Creating custom session dimensions for these key interactions. However this doesn’t really work that well because you quickly spam your custom dimensions, it doesn’t work retroactively, and it requires you to know what you want to segment on up front. I’ve done this for a couple of key interactions, but I’m not doing it for other use cases as I believe there’s a good chance Piwik will implement this in the future and I’d rather avoid the mess it creates.

2. The “User Funnel Report” and especially the “Funnel Report” has logic for segmenting sessions based on behaviour. In simple cases I’ve been able to see the amount of people who visited a page, and then triggered an event (not a goal). If you want to break this down by multiple dimensions this quickly gets unruly though, so it only works for the simplest of cases and is pretty tiresome.

In me and my agencies opinion this is the biggest shortcoming of Piwik compared to Google Analytics UA and we do feel a bit crippled. But Piwik is a great tool, don’t get me wrong :slight_smile:

Here’s a set of other threads requesting the same thing.

Including a quote from Piwik

2 Likes